Sunday 10 April 2016

Another dose of wonderful memories: Timișoara and Belgrade.

The last time I described to you amazing Budapest. Today I would like to continue my report from this interesting tour. 
I relize that for some of you, the Balkans do not seem to be the ideal place to spend the holiday, but trust me, these magical places are absolutely worth seeing! 


  • Timișoara
It's a city in western Romania. It was another point of our tour and I have to say I was neither
surprised nor disappointed... 
There is a beautiful Orthodox cathedral, as it is well known, Orthodox churches differ from Roman Catholic ones.  Here you can watch two photos, exterior and interior of Orthodox church:



The day of arrival there was a big annual event in the city but I don't really remember the name or something that I could describe you more. Lots of the people were watching and having a great time at the Old Market Square. There were demonstrations of acrobatic dance and concerts of local music.



After visiting such a lovely city center all tour participants' went to see and eat typical Romanian food:
  • Ciorbă de burtă ( it is a traditional Romanian soup with the addition of tripe, whitened cream)

    Ciorbă de burtă - zupa z flakami - co zjeść w Rumunii


  • Mici ( This mixed minced meat, properly seasoned, formed into small rolls and baked on the grill)

    Zdjęcia: Maramuresz, Mici - rumuńska kuchnia, RUMUNIA 

    It was served with roasted potatoes and fresh vegetables

    Romanian cuisine is somewhat similar to Polish, but as each has its own specialties, which are worth tasting.;) 

       

    • Belgrade 

    This is the  capital of Serbia. The city lies in the north of Serbia, at the confluence of the Sava and Danube. 

In my opinion the city is very interesting because of its history but the authorities have very little to invest in the renovation of buildings. I'm even willing to say that Belgrade at first glance reminds Polish towns 30 years ago.
I have not lived in these times but I've heard a lot.

Look at themselves:






There were also many beautiful monumental buildings, which were breathtaking, like for example:
  •  Orthodox church of St. Sava




  • The ruins of the bombed Ministry of Defense of Serbia



I really enjoyed visiting both towns and I think the fact that they look different from the beautiful European capitals works even in their favor. It's good to visit and watch something less popular
but equally intriguing. 
In my opinion, the Balkans are an example of such a place. :)

Greetings, 
J.O
 

4 comments:

  1. This must have been an amazing trip! What is the story of the bombed school? When did it happen? How? Do you know anything about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just relized that in fact this is the building of the Ministry of Defense of Serbia.. I really don't know why I was so wrong.. I probably had to misunderstood something..I wrote the post very quickly and didn't check everything correctly..my fault, I'll change this mistake ;)
      The story of these ruins is from 24.03.1999 when Belgrade was bombed for 78 days by NATO. Serbia was then a part of Yugoslavia. The raids were taken because of the defense of the Albanian minority in Kosovo who was persecuted by the authorities. This building has not been specifically deleted because it is a reminder of those terrible events and in fact it shows how long political way the city has came to be a free one.:)

      Delete
    2. And yes, the trip was absolutely amazing ! In subsequent posts I'll finish my report from these wonderful holidays.:)

      Delete
    3. Thank you! All post-war ruins make a strong impression, and it's a good idea to keep some of them visible as they did there, to make sure people remember how terrible those events were. I am really looking forward to your further posts :)

      Delete